These ice cream sandwiches are as much fun to make as they are to eat. They are made with chocolate chip cookies that are crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and taste like a rich vanilla butter cake. Add sprinkles and ice cream and you’ve got a party!
I was hosting a playdate for my boys and our neighbors’ girls: a pizza and movie night at our house. I wanted something really fun for the kids to enjoy and what’s more fun than cookies, ice cream, and cake all rolled into one?! I used a cake-mix for the cookies, which makes this recipe really quick and easy. All that’s required is some oil, eggs, chocolate chips, and sprinkles and you’ve got a crispy, chewy, delightful little treat that tastes like a combination of birthday cake and chocolate chip cookies. To top things off, I added some sprinkles and ice cream to the mix because that’s what you need for a good playdate, more sugar. Now, does that make me a bad mom or good mom?
To make the ice cream sandwich, I spread the ice cream about one inch thick onto a plate and used a cookie cutter to make perfect ice cream pucks. However, you can simply scoop the ice cream and press it in between two cookies or just have it on the side.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup sprinkles
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix, eggs and oil to a large bowl and mix using a strong rubber spatula. The batter will be super thick.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a tablespoon, drop rounded cookie dough 2 inches apart onto the lined baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Press a scoop of vanilla ice cream in between 2 cookies just before serving.
I will be sharing this at Fiesta Friday #68.