What I love about this recipe is that these cookies are ultra soft and chewy, and they stay like that for days. The crunchy candy coating of the m&m’s creates a nice contrast to the softness of these cookies. The creamy white chocolate compliments the milk chocolate flavored center of the m&m’s, and the quinoa flakes, well that’s just icing on the cake. Besides being nutritionally packed, the quinoa flakes also gives these cookies a very mild nutty taste, and subtle oatmeal-like texture. This recipe is also very versatile, if m&m’s and white chocolate aren’t your thing, you can use 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead or 1 cup butterscotch chips and 1/2 cup pecans. Add in whatever you fancy, the possibilities are endless.
I saw these pastel colour m&m’s at Target and I couldn’t resist. I thought they were so pretty and perfect for spring, even though it doesn’t feel quite like spring yet here in Ontario. I am anxiously waiting for the warmer weather to arrive, I think we all are. It has been a long winter, but I know spring weather is just around the corner.
This recipe does require chilling, but it is worth the wait, I promise. I form my cookie dough using a medium cookie scoop. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend it. All your cookies will bake up nice, round, even and consistent every time. I place my rounded cookie dough on a plastic tray lined with wax paper. The tray fits into a plastic container with a lid, but any large tray or container that fits in your fridge will work. With or without a lid, you can simply cover with saran wrap and refrigerate. This is also an easy recipe for kids to help with. There is no mixer required, just two bowls, a whisk, a wooden or rubber spatula and you are good to go. Now the m&m’s may crack in the oven, so what I do is set aside a handful of m&m’s to top each cookie once they’re baked and still warm. It also makes for extra pretty cookies when you see the beautiful coloured candies on top.
Soft Baked M&M Cookies with Quinoa Flakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quinoa flakes (or quick oats)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup m&m’s
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (minis or reg)
1) Melt butter in the microwave in a medium glass bowl for about 20-30 seconds, just until melted but not hot. Let cool for about a minute.
2) Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda and salt.
3) Whisk the melted butter with the sugars until there are no lumps. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisk again until evenly mixed.
4) Pour the wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and using a rubber/wooden spatula, mix until incorporated.
5) Fold in the 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and about 3/4 cup of the m&m’s
6) Using a medium cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons, drop rounded cookie mounds onto a tray, cover and refrigerate for 2-24hours.
7) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F, place cookie doughs on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicone baking mat. Bake for about 10 minutes or just until the edges start to brown.
8) Gently press in a few more m&m’s on each cookie. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Recipe by Little Sweet Baker