Rich, buttery vanilla cupcake with a hint of coconut and a fresh mango buttercream.
So, this is my first Fiesta Friday post! I’m super excited to be joining the party and looking forward to mingling with all of you. As I was deciding what special dessert I should bring to the occasion, I was thinking about how much I’ve been enjoying the summer weather now that it’s finally here. My husband, the boys and I have been really enjoying our walks around our neighborhood and catching up with our neighbors. We’ve all been hibernating with the extreme cold winter we’ve had and it’s nice to see everyone out and about.
To celebrate the beautiful weather, I decided to make something using flavors that symbolize summer. While I was at the supermarket, I noticed some gorgeous mangos on sale, perfect! I love mangos, they’re such a sweet and fragrant fruit. Mangos are also a tropical fruit, so I wanted to carry that theme into my recipe. Then I came across some coconut flavored yogurt and it just came together for me. To be honest, I’ve never baked with yogurt before, I usually use sour cream, but no better time than the present to try something new.
These vanilla cupcakes are rich, buttery, moist, and have a hint of coconut from adding the coconut yogurt to the batter. The buttercream tastes fresh and sweet, and is bursting with mango flavor. I was super happy when I was whipping up the buttercream, the smell of fresh mangos filled my kitchen and the gorgeous color made it look like a bowl of sunshine.
The buttery vanilla, sweet mango, and light taste of coconut is a perfect combination. However, if you’re not a coconut fan, french vanilla yogurt is quite lovely with the mango flavor too.
I brought some unfrosted cupcakes to my grandmother’s house as I know she’s not a buttercream fan. As she was complimenting on how good they were, she told me that what she likes to do with mini cakes is to chill them in the fridge, cut them in half, then pan fry them with butter so they’re crispy. Pan fried cupcakes? Has anyone else heard of that or is it just a #myweirdgrandma thing? Please let me know as I’m really curious about this. I laugh just thinking about it because I’ve never heard such a thing before. That’s my grandma and I love her. :)
Tropical Mango Vanilla Cupcakes
1 & 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup coconut flavored yogurt (or vanilla)
3/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup mango puree (using a handheld or stand blender, puree a generous 1/2 cup of diced mangos until smooth)
3-4 cups icing sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3) Add the sugar, egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla to the melted butter. Whisk together, then gently pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth and try not to over mix.
4) Fill the paper liners about 3/4’s full with batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
5) To make the buttercream, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add the mango puree, mix until somewhat incorporated. Add the 3 cups of icing sugar, one at a time, mixing well in between. Add the 4th cup if needed for desired consistency.
The cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Best served at room temperature.
Recipe by Little Sweet Baker
You might also like: